Sartar Size

From: Joseph Troxell (jmt107@psu.edu)
Date: Thu 15 May 1997 - 23:28:12 EEST

>From: David Dunham <dunham@pensee.com>
>King of Sartar suggests that the average size of a clan is 1200. The
>Glorantha box has the total population of Sartar.
>The best source is probably Questlines.

I don't have Questlines. Or King of Sartar (nor do either of the people I
regularly borrow books from). In the Glorantha boxed set and it lists the
populatoin of Sartar as 180,000 people. Which means that each tribe is
roughly 7500 people. So if each tribe has 5-6 clans, each clan is (on
average) 1200-1500 in size. That seems a little large, but not unworkable.

Of course, if those numbers include "those not fit to work", the actual
population of workers is smaller. I'm assuming a ratio of 1:4 of "not fit"
to "workers." So, if a clan has 1500 people, that means that really only
1200 are working. My numbers may be a bit generous. Maybe it should be
more like 1:3. However, in most primitive societies, if you don't feed
yourself, you go hungry. I doubt there are a lot of aged and weak in the
clan, so the only people being feed are the very young. Once they reach
about 10 years old (if not earlier), I'm sure the kids are expected to help
feed the family.

>A hide (an old Anglo-Saxon term) is about 120 acres, enough land to support
>a family. Your definition of family may vary; I'm currently assuming it's
>about 8 (father, mother, 2 elders, 1 unmarried adult sibling, 3 kids).

Don't have Dragon Pass either, so that map isn't much help. The region of
Sartar about 150 km by 100 km looking at the maps from the Glorantha boxed
set (although, that includes some mountains, and presumable some other
non-farmable land). Or, that's 90 miles by 60 miles. According to my
surveying book, "640 acres = one normal section of 1 mile square". So, if
Sartar is 5400 square miles, that's roughly 3.5 million acres. 120 acres to

feed a family of 8 is 15 acres a person. Which means that Sartar could
support something like 200,000 people (if every acre could be farmed). 15
acres may be a bit generous, since I'm sure that not every acre can be farmed.

These numbers may not be correct, but I'm happy with them (for the time
being at least). If anyone sees a flaw in my math or reasoning, please
point it out. Or if you've come up with a different set of numbers (I'm
thinking Seattle Farmer's Collective), please pass them along.