Medieval Drinking Habits

From: Martin Dick (Martin.Dick@fcit.monash.edu.au)
Date: Mon 19 May 1997 - 08:44:09 EEST

In relation to the drinking habits of Medieval folk,
one of the most frightening figures I heard while visiting
an old monastery on the Rhine, was that the monks had a daily
allowance of 5 litres of wine, (the nuns only got 3 litres).

Now while Rhine Riesling is a very delicious drop, 5 litres
would leave me reeling. The funniest part was the metal guides
on the door, which narrowed down to the keyhole, so that the
brothers entering the monastery would find it easy to get the
key into the keyhole.

Makes the regular drunken sprees our Orlanthi go on, seem
quite tame actually.

Martin