more apostrophe rules

From: Carlson, Pam (carlsonp@wdni.com)
Date: Sun 25 May 1997 - 23:13:00 EEST

 -> Alex Ferguson questions my use of an apostrophe in:

> But the DH's rallied and tossed the wrigglies out.

Good eye, Alex! But, apostophes can also denote missing text, which is
why they are used in contractions. Therefore, under Apostophe Use Rule
#37,"DH's" is correct, because the apostrophe denotes the missing
"appan" in "Happans". At least, that's what our English teachers beat

into us.

One could ask why there is no apostrohe for "Dara". Then I would have
to admit that I have no idea... convention?

Pam