Leaping bears

From: TTrotsky@aol.com
Date: Mon 26 May 1997 - 21:36:10 EEST

   Some rough-and-ready and totally unofficial stats for the Leaping Bear,
based on Sandy's assertion that this is a prehistoric bear-dog and the stats
for that particular beastie in my own game system :

LEAPING BEAR
 (*Amphicyon giganteus*)
STR 5d6+15 33-34 Move 6
CON 2d6+6 13 Hit Points 20
SIZ 4d6+12 26 Fatigue 47
INT 4 4
POW 3d6 10-11 Hit locations as a bear
DEX 2d6+6 13

Bite 6 30+4 1d10+3d6
Skill bases as a bear, with modifers for stats
Armour 4 points skin and fur

    Well, I wouldn't want to meet that on a dark night! Apologies for any
miscalculation in the attack bonus; it's been a long time since I played RQ
and I couldn't remember how its worked out for animals (doesn't look the same
as for humans judging from the RQ3 creatures book).
    Physically, the animal looks much like a bear, except for the dog-like
head and tail. It's about the size of a tiger, and is carnivorous. My book of
mammalian paleontology carelessly omits to describe the colour (had they
never been to Prax/Sartar??) but I'd guess it's brown or black.
    Incidentally, there were many different sorts of bear-dog, most of them
far smaller than the above animal. I'm betting on this one because most of
the others look much more dog-like and would therefore be unlikely to be
called 'bears' by Sartarites. OTOH, they would have been more agile and more
likely to 'leap'.

All hail the Reaching Moon
     Trotsky