Janissaries

From: Claude Manzato (cmanzat@sbs.de)
Date: Fri 30 May 1997 - 16:10:18 EEST

>The Jannisaries were balkan christians taken from peasant villages at
>an extremely young age (seven) and raised within the Sublime Porte's
>Household as fanatical muslims and divorced from normal life (they were

If I remenber correctly, they were originated from Anatolia (present day
Turkia). When they conquered the aera, the Turks ruled that the first
male born of each christian family was to be delivered to them. Then
they were raised as elite soldier/bodyguard fanatic muslims for the
Sultan. I always thoght that it was something that the kingdom of war
would do: raid a place, kill the fighters and inproductives, enslave the
people and capture the young boys to supply some training camps with
recruits and produce the next generation of conquerors.

Well, maybe....

- --
####################
Claude Manzato DISTANCE, n. The only thing that the rich are
cmanzat@scn.de willing for the poor to call theirs, and keep.
http://www.scn.de/~cmanzat
Toulouse France
#################### THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY (Ambrose Bierce)

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #438

electronic retrieval.

lists.