More changes to magic system

From: David Miller (davidm@cogs.susx.ac.uk)
Date: Wed 08 Oct 1997 - 17:00:08 EEST

I've been giving some thought about removing the spirit magic system from RQ.
>From a referee's point of view it greatly reduces the power levels of
experienced PC's, who tend to have lots of power crystals and magic spirits to
fuel their bladesharp 5 and heal 6 spells (thus eliminating any need to
expend your own magic points). Dropping spirit magic almost immediately
removes the need for so much magical equipment and reduces the amount of POW
gains PC's with "disruption" and the like get. Shamans could just use the
rules for Daka-Fal priests.

Also this reduces some of the paper work needed for the referee as you no
longer have to field such powerful opponents against to PC's (is it just me or
does everyone's brain turn to jelly when trying to keep track of the PC's
hare-brained schemes and what strike ranks your half a dozen NPC's spells go
off on).

>From a glorantha point of view the magic of the world is not diminished,
people will still curse their enemies and bless their arrows to hit the mark.
It is just that luck in the die rolls to hit will judge if the "spell" worked

or not.

Comments?

P.S. Would anyone agree that the film "Eric the Viking" is an excellent
example of a hero quest.

                                        Dave. (davidm@cogs.sussex.ac.uk)