Oops! Shannon's comments, RQIV

From: Chris Bell (remster@ns1.interport.net)
Date: Mon 20 Oct 1997 - 06:06:04 EEST

In my last post, I forgot to make comments about what Shannon wrote...
My apologies.

Shannon, thanks for your comments and updates about the II stuff and the
situation with Avalon Hill. I agree, what exactly happens during Sacred
Time and such is the great weakness of RQ 2 and 3. I always imagined it
as a controlled, somewhat safe trip into the GodTime, where the worshipper
becomes Orlanth or whatever God he or she is worshipping, and faces that
deities conflicts and resolutions of the Greater Darkness and *IS* the
deity as he or she takes their part in resurrecting the world and
beginning Time, starting the new year. Normally, the mysteries are not
deviated from and the worshipper's participation is not that deep (ie -
you're one of the citizens of Yelm's Empire or a member of the Wyter of
Orlanth's stead, and you begin time in the support of and under the
guidance of your God. For Priests and Lords, you *are* the God, fighting
the deity's battles, etc.) At the I Fought We Won stage, ALL worshippers
become their God or culture hero, being the lone hero against Chaos and
the death of the world. I always envisioned the Sacred Time as a period
where the normal rules of time were suspended and where the world as a

whole enters the Otherworld, a place of visions, journeys and omens, as
Myth is not merely re-enacted, but re-experienced and

re-lived/re-performed. If mortal worshippers are disturbed during these
rites, things can get VERY bad, as the very nature of the world is in the
balance. However, as most everyone is engaged in Sacred Time Ceremonies,
the only conflicts are those that are called for by Myth - IE... Orlanth's
challenges on the LBQ, Yelmalio and Zorak Zoran at the Hill of Gold, etc.

Is this ANYWHERE near how other RQ players envisage Sacred Time? :)

Also... Since RQIV is obviously a dead durulz, er, keet, er, ahem :),
does anyone have a printed or online copy of the AIG rules that they would
let me take a look at? Shannon, are there still copyright issues and fair
use quandries concerning RQIV - AIG? Trust me, I'm not about to run out
and sell bootleg copies of RQ playtest rules... :)

One last note... how many Digest subscribers are in the NY/NJ Tri-state
area? I am desperately fiending to play RQ! ALL my gamer friends are
World of Darkness or D&D freaks. Ah, to walk the plains of Prax
again...:)

Blessings of Hrestol upon you, who teaches us the Joys of the Heart.
May you all know Solace.

Chris Bell
remster@interport.net