Sacred Time

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 (mmorrison@VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: Tue 21 Oct 1997 - 22:57:45 EEST

Chris Bell writes about Sacred Time:

> I always imagined it
> as a controlled, somewhat safe trip into the GodTime, where the worshipper
> becomes Orlanth or whatever God he or she is worshipping, and faces that
> deities conflicts and resolutions of the Greater Darkness and *IS* the
> deity as he or she takes their part in resurrecting the world and
> beginning Time, starting the new year.

I like this view, but it feels very Theyalan to me. Which got me to
wondering, is Sacred Time universal across Glorantha? That is, do
all cultures recognise and celebrate a sacred time at the end of the
year that's anything like what Chris described?

The stuff about the gods resurrecting the world doesn't sound right
for a Malkioni or a Kralorelan or a Doraddi, never mind a Dragonewt.
But it _could_ be true that the entire world takes on an even more
magical (or mystical) quality at the end of every year -- the challenge
would be to explain it mythically for each culture.

I seem to recall that not everyone uses the "5 seasons + Sacred Time"
calendar, so I suspect that the idea of a sacred time is not

universal. But, I'd like to be wrong ... ;)

Michael
Michael C. Morrison Santa Teresa Laboratory Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology IBM Software Solutions Fax (408)463-3696
Lotus Notes ID: MCMORRIS at IBMUSM50 IBMLink: MORRISON@TORIBM
Internet ID: MMORRISON@VNET.IBM.COM or USIB47H4@IBMMAIL.COM
IBM Mail Exchange: USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL or USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address: G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us