Kolating

From: David Cake (davidc@cyllene.uwa.edu.au)
Date: Mon 03 Nov 1997 - 22:43:54 EET

>We've a new PC starting as a Kolating. Does anyone have any hints,
>tips, or points to add flavour to this character? There seems to be
>remarkably little about the Father of Winds.

        Kolatings are shamans. Accordingly, don't put too much emphasis on
Kolat himself - its his thousands of children they deal with, plus lots of
other spirits as well.

        So the best way to make a Kolating interesting is to give them lots
of lots of interesting wind spirits that they know of, know how to summon,
or whatever. Make these spirits interesting. Spirits of mountain winds that
are so cold that they caus hit point damage to those in spirit combat with
them, like Shades do. Spirits of summer breezes that have the power to
restore people energy. Spirits that owe allegiance to Orlanth, or other
wind deities, complete with divine magic, but that are willing to talk to
the Kolating and might help him in certain endeavours. And so on. A few
ideas along these lines are listed in the article on the Far Point area in
Questlines. Give them a few spirits that are friendly, a few that will work
for good rewards, and a few that are hostile, not to the point of all out
attack, but can be convinced to work against common enemies (or pumped for
information, or whatever). Make the shamans job a lot about roleplaying his
connections to the many spirits (wind and otherwise) that he can contact.
        A few spirit cults for Kolating are another logical area. The
extensive Praxian and Troll spirit cults add a lot to shamans of that
culture, so a few Sartarite spirit cults would help flesh out Kolating
considerably. Anyone got a list?

        Cheers

                David