Re: Great Parry &c.

From: Mr. Tines (tines@windsong.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue 04 Nov 1997 - 20:18:48 EET

David Cake on Great Parry
> As people by the thousand will no doubt point out, to dodge a
> special you need a special, to dodge a critical you need a critical.

It may be a house rule - it's been years since I've
looked at the central rules - but isn't this just
the same for parrying? It's certainly how we've
always played - it reduces the "I hit, you parry"
that was inherent in the system at high levels at RQ2.

> from Axe Trance (much better than comparable spells like Arrow Trance,
 if
> you have a few MPs to spare - and even just an average Allied spirit
can
> easily provide enough to get you +100% or more), then the Babeestor
Gor

If you can sensibly expend all that POW in one
fell swoop. This is where temperament and
campaign style differ, I feel. Burn those
points, and twenty minutes later, when the
next threat arises, you'll look rather
foolish. Sooner - and this might be a rogue
RQ2ism - if the enemy targets the now
depleted ally with a Befuddle and gets you
down the mindlink.

> Anyway, the point is pretty clear. Babeester Gor IS a really really
> tough combat cult, far more so than most other combat cults. The only
way
> to stop this becoming an issue in a campaign that includes players who
want
> to play them is to use lots of roleplaying based restrictions. Live
with

My experience may be biased by the usual
camapign lifespan being about 18 months of roughly
weekly sessions, but it has been my experience,
that there was no real difference between the various
combat cultists, except for that due to good or bad runs
with the skill checks, for characters who were still well
away from contemplating rune level when the campaign
folded. Maybe in another couple of years, we might have

scraped together the requisites.

But in the interim - there you have a game procedural,
if not outright game mechanical, approach to keeping
the high-level failures at bay.

- -- PGPfingerprint: BC01 5527 B493 7C9B 3C54 D1B7 248C 08BC --
 _______ {pegwit v8 public key =581cbf05be9899262ab4bb6a08470}
/_ __(_)__ ___ ___ {69c10bcfbca894a5bf8d208d001b829d4d0}
 / / / / _ \/ -_|_-< www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1394
/_/ /_/_//_/\__/___/@windsong.demon.co.uk PGP key on page