Like it or Lump it; figure substitutes; The Chalk Man (a location)

From: Mr. Tines (tines@windsong.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu 06 Nov 1997 - 00:04:48 EET

Sandy urged Clay that
> THE LUMP IS WRONG! DON'T LISTEN TO IT! [snip] make it
> up yourself!
> 1) You'll get the "right" answer anyway.
> This is pretty likely, since Glorantha stems from
> a limited information base

Depending what other baggage you bring along with
you to the problem. Answers will either be right
near as damn it; or egregiously "wrong" (modelling
ones Lunar Empire, for lack of firm fact, on a
real world expansionist Red menace, to take one

extreme example)

> 2) Nothing will ever get published on that fact.
> 3) You'll get Gregged.

With the intermediate "nothing will get published
for a decade or so, and then you'll get Gregged/

Sandied/MOBbed/etc". My advice would be to start
out by making some deliberate change to the setting
to mark out your own territory, and get the Gregging
over with. Then it won't hurt if something that
you've made integral to the game (say, in the
Lunars-as-Commies alternate, the presence of
descendents of the few Sun worshipping nobles who
escaped the Red Revolution living in penurious exile
in surrounding lands, to be used as figurheads for

invasions) suddenly turns out non-canonical, since
you already knew that something significant was.

That or play something else and speculate here.

Clay asked

> Does anyone have an economical and aesthetic
> suggestion for lead-figure-army alternatives?

The following have been pressed into service
in the past to represent figures in combat

Chess pieces[*]. Draughts pieces. Colonel Mustard
and the rest from Cluedo. Cardboard rectangles
with unit values and designations. Dice (number
uppermost can be meaningful).

[*] and not only in the Cradle scenario, where
what you see is what you get...

===

The last Gloranthan campaign I played in took a different
spin on the "Occupied Sartar" scenario, in terms of rewriting
the Lunar invasion - in the sort of "If you're going to be
Gregged, do it in style" approach I discussed above, but
there are a few bits that may well be generally applicable.

It seemed obvious to us that an Anglo-Saxon style Sartar
would have carved figures chalk hillsides; I can't remember
if the "Valley of the Chalk Man" in canonical Sartar
(map as per p93 of Wyrms Footprints) was named on any of the
maps we had of the area back in 89-90 odd, but that was
about the location, in a region of effective Tarshite
annexation, where we found one such figure that had been
carved in a hillside around a series of caves. Following
one cave, one found the real Chalk Man - a series of neat
square (Earth Rune) tunnels, forming a stylised, squared-off
human figure, that was in some sense "alive" as a result of
a number of elemental spirits that pervaded it.

Its significance within the game was that, after a bit
of puzzle solving, and some oratory and other proof to
the Chalk Man that we had suitable credentials, a hidden
chamber within its head yielded up the War Crown of a Hero
from olden days (i.e. one of the plot tokens we needed to
collect to cash in for a happy ending).

- -- PGPfingerprint: BC01 5527 B493 7C9B 3C54 D1B7 248C 08BC --
 _______ {pegwit v8 public key =581cbf05be9899262ab4bb6a08470}
/_ __(_)__ ___ ___ {69c10bcfbca894a5bf8d208d001b829d4d0}
 / / / / _ \/ -_|_-< www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1394
/_/ /_/_//_/\__/___/@windsong.demon.co.uk PGP key on page