RQ3 Flintnail

From: peter metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Sat 03 Jan 1998 - 08:31:04 EET

Erik Nolander

>Has anyone tried converting the RQ2 Flintnail cult to RQ3?

>Could the cult structure be kept as it is, do you think? Also, would all
>spells have to be converted to sorcery spells? Maybe, since it seems to
>be rather an Openhandism sort of cult, it could be treated as more of a
>"regular" cult than a sorcery "school". What do you think?

I would alter the cult structure slightly so that it resembles the
traditional guild for humans. Lay members are apprentices and
journeymen, intitiates are masters and the 'rune level' is really
the guild leadership. The mostali openhandists really dominate
the cult by insisting on meritocratic leadership - those who can
sculpt the best should be the leaders.

If the mostali use spirit magic then they are apostate. However since
Flintnail was a rock mostali (and true mostali cannot by definition be
apostate IMO), then the cult must be sorcery-using. Thus I would
convert all the rune magic spells to sorcery equivalents (mould rock
becomes form/set rock, warrior of stone becomes animate stone etc). A
human cultist would only get tuition in the more complex sorcery skills
when he becomes an initiate.

I don't think Flintnail would give Divine Intervention. IMO the
cult is devoid of any spiritual element and most human cultists
look to Orlanth and Ernalda for afterlife etc.

- --Peter Metcalfe