Re: Magics of mass destruction

From: madamx@mikka.net.au
Date: Mon 05 Jan 1998 - 13:53:49 EET

- --Next_Part_2966882029_1271413_MS_Mac_IMN

Lee {V5 #287} expressed the opinion that G. is short on spells allowing an
individual to attack a mass but that massed spells fit the bill. To me this
seems consistent with known warfare, all mass destruction on the modern
battlefield is a group effort.Roughly ten men are required to fire 1
shell.The combination of the various spells of ten G individuals has the
potential to be equally devestating, especially if the unit is a POWerful
individual plus entourage. Granted few spells qualify as long range
artillery but a number do well as the eqivalent of the trench mortar, RPG or
light anti tank weapons of 20C.
On the other hand consider, if you will, the prospect of a group of priests
in the rear echelons summoning sylps as fast as possible, giving them orders
"kill the blokes in the red cloaks" & using guided teleport to drop them on
registered targets.Even worse, an acolyte with mind speech acting as forward
observer & calling the spells in. The cracking of the old Sun Dome Temple in
SC can provide inspiration for the creative use of teleport spells. It is
not a precice eqivalent of RW artillery but then it shouldn't be. It does,
however, encourage a degree of dispersal of troops or failing that a more
Napoleonic style of slaughter where the infantry can't stand because of the
artillery & can't move due to the cavalry.
Finally I believe that there are few spells of mass destruction in G because
most cultures find them inapropriate to warfare. Western, Orlanthi & Yelmic
cultures [seem to me to] emphasise individual combat & bravery It is only
since the recent advent of the lunar colleges that organised tactical magic,
as opposed to personal magical combat by a powerful individual & retinue,
has appeared on the field. This is especially true of the combined arms
effect achived by the empire
Lastly may I tender my compliments to everyone involved in the recent
"flame war". I've only just returned to the GD & found a wonderful,
reasonned & polite (if occasionally testy) debate from people who seem to
care about their subject. Thank you.

Darvall.
Madamx@mikka.net.au

- --Next_Part_2966882029_1271413_MS_Mac_IMN

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Magics of mass destruction</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
Lee {V5 #287} expressed the opinion that G. is short on spells allowing an individual to attack a mass but that massed spells fit the bill. To me this seems consistent with known warfare, all mass destruction on the modern battlefield is a group effort.Roughly ten men are required to fire 1 shell.The combination of the various spells of ten G individuals has the potential to be equally devestating, especially if the unit is a POWerful individual plus entourage. Granted few spells qualify as long range artillery but a number do well as the eqivalent of the trench mortar, RPG or light anti tank weapons of 20C.<BR>
On the other hand consider, if you will, the prospect of a group of priests in the rear echelons summoning sylps as fast as possible, giving them orders "kill the blokes in the red cloaks" & using guided teleport to drop them on registered targets.Even worse, an acolyte with mind speech acting as forward observer & calling the spells in. The cracking of the old Sun Dome Temple in SC can provide inspiration for the creative use of teleport spells. It is not a precice eqivalent of RW artillery but then it shouldn't be. It does, however, encourage a degree of dispersal of troops or failing that a more Napoleonic style of slaughter where the infantry can't stand because of the artillery & can't move due to the cavalry.<BR>
Finally I believe that there are few spells of mass destruction in G because most cultures find them inapropriate to warfare. Western, Orlanthi & Yelmic cultures [seem to me to] emphasise <B>individual</B> combat & bravery It is only since the recent advent of the lunar colleges that organised tactical magic, as opposed to personal magical combat by a powerful individual & retinue, has appeared on the field. This is especially true of the combined arms effect achived by the empire<BR>
<HR ALIGN=CENTER SIZE="3" WIDTH="80%">Lastly may I tender my compliments to <B>everyone</B> involved in the recent "flame war". I've only just returned to the GD & found a wonderful, reasonned & polite (if occasionally testy) debate from people who seem to care about their subject. Thank you.<BR>
<BR>
Darvall. <BR>
Madamx@mikka.net.au<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --Next_Part_2966882029_1271413_MS_Mac_IMN--