Inheritance

From: Carl Fink (carlf@panix.com)
Date: Mon 05 Jan 1998 - 19:35:49 EET

Peter Metcalfe:

> This is a tad misleading IMO. If we talk about DNA and all that,
> then we have no evidence to suggest their existance in Glorantha
> nor would I go around proclaiming their existance. But I do feel
> that Mendel's experiments would work in glorantha and that people
> can inherit characteristics from their parents.

I dislike this. IMG, inheritance does NOT follow Mendel's principles.
It's more like the old "corpuscular" (real name forgotten) principles,
including "Lamarckian" inheritance (inheritance of acquired
characteristics) and influence from former sex partners. For
instance, Darwin believed that if a zebra and a mare copulated, the
mare's offspring EVEN YEARS LATER would be striped because of the
influence of the zebra.

I also think that the real-world old wive's tale of "event"
inheritance would work in Glorantha. For instance, if a pregnant
woman is scared by a rat, her child might look vaguely rat-like.

- --
Carl Fink carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>