Suppressing Dissidents etc.

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Tue 06 Jan 1998 - 09:14:26 EET

Andrew Joelson:

Me>>I treat the social effect of Illumination in the Lunar Empire as
>>equivalent to communist ideology in say the soviet union. At one
>>hand, there is a ruling orthodoxy of which most of the state
>>functionaries subscribe to. Then there are dissident beliefs
>>propogated by street riff-raff which are ruthlessly suppressed
>>by the various organs of the Lunar Empire.

> Not true. Why would a bunch of Illuminates want to supress
>dissidents? A) Illuminates tend to be more broad-minded than the
>average chap, b) Tolerance is the Lunar Way. IMO, they would only
>start supressing dissidents if they started causing significant
>social unrest. Otherwise, why waste the time and effort?

Is this the same lunar empire which is suppressing the White Moon
heretics and has made membership of the Order of Kerestus a capital
offence (cf Fortunate Succession)? As for the liberal notion of
suppressing the dissidents only after they start causing trouble
is like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted IMHO.

The Lunar Way stands for Peace and Tolerance for All and it has
achieved this by centuries of co-ordinating society _under_ the
divine philosophy of the Red Goddess.

Dissident philosophies do not have the same benefit of the divine
inspiration of the Goddess and the centuries of accumulated
practical experience. Thus they are logically inferior and
the widespread knowledge of such will inevitably cause massive
social disturbances. Thus to promote _effective_ peace and

tolerance for all, it is necessary to clamp down on divergent
philosophies of illumination and those who propogate them.

>>>Any ideas on the rune magic spells for combining with others, or to be
>>>used in conjunction with others - would the skyburn count as this? or
>>>do people reckon that would be sorcery?

Me>> The Skyburn is a good example...

> Terrible example, actually. The Char'Un performed the Skyburn
>when the Red Emperor cheated them into accepting an Elf Forest as a land
>grant. I can't recall any reference offhand that suggests the Empire
>helped the Char'Un....

But the question asked was on combined rune magic use rather than
specifically Lunar examples as such.

Carl Fink:

Me>> But I do feel
>> that Mendel's experiments would work in glorantha and that people
>> can inherit characteristics from their parents.

>I dislike this. IMG, inheritance does NOT follow Mendel's principles.

I said Mendel's experiments would work, not that it is the complete
story on gloranthan inheritance. OTOH if you deny Mendelism, then
how do you get recessive traits?

- --Peter Metcalfe