Carmanian monsters

From: David Cake (davidc@cyllene.uwa.edu.au)
Date: Tue 13 Jan 1998 - 09:36:14 EET

In Lorens rather glorious article about the monsters of Carmania he
mentioned the
>Pikemen, swim out of the lake, covered with pike scales, with sharp teeth
>and big mouths like a huge pike, are cannibals, and love to eat the
>mosquitomen

        Which could well be one of the species of Pelandan Blue Men,
perhaps the DediVakuRu, the watery blue men, who live underwater. They
worship their hideous cannibal god Yargan.

>Owlbear, with or without wings

        I find it fascinating that a creature I found so curious and
ridiculous as a D&D classic should suddenly be seen as completely natural
for a Carmanian horror. Context makes all the difference.

        Cheers

                David