More topics

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Thu 15 Jan 1998 - 09:08:16 EET

David Clegg:

About the Clanking City

>Has anything been published about this event? Do any of y'all know any
>more? Is there anything on the web?

King of Sartar contains a myth about its demise called 'Orlanth
and the Machine God'. The only other official word on it is in
the RuneQuest Con Compendium:

        29: Will you be doing anything more with the Clanking
             City again, or mentioning it, or...

        GS: Maybe. The Clanking City is still there, but it's
             rusting out, it's trapped, diseased and everything
             so it's a bad place to go. Originally when I made
             it I thought it was a great place for player
             characters. So I hope somebody writes it up.

I wrote an expose about the Clanking City in Glorantha Digest
v4 #513 and a short article about it will be appearing in
Questlines II (Buy it!). I plan to put up some more of my
thoughts about God Forgot and the Clanking City on a web page
Real Soon Now.

Pasanen Panu:

> Why there are no Elder Races that compete with humans of 'lebensraum'
> directly and in same environment, I wonder.. The beings of 'myth' are
> hidden from the Joe Everyman, sort of.

Because ordinary humans are so much more devious and more interested
in what other humans want than any number of Elder Races. The lack
of direct competition has benefits for the Elder Races. Because they
prefer the territory that humans do not want (would you want to live
in Dagori Inkarth? Or a hole in the ground?), the humans are less
likely to compete with them which reduces the risk that the Elder
Race becomes extinct.

Frederic Ferro:

>Who is this Marteler ? A Kitori ?

Martaler of the Blazing Forge is the Brass Mostali in charge of
the Gemborg Conclave.

Jean Durupt:

>+charge of the cataphract

>I failed to see why allowing even the dead hazari to attack increases the
>shock of a cavalry charge. I freely admit that I am not an historian.

There is a case in the Napoleanic Wars mentioned by John Keegan's
'The Face of Battle' (1976). Normally Cavalry charging an infantry
square would not complete the charge if the infantry remained firm;
they need the square to have been broken up by cannon fire beforehand
to have a chance of success.

The sole case where an infantry square was entirely broken by a
cavalry charge was this. As the cavalry neared the square, a shot
killed one rider and his horse. The momentum of the charge meant
that the corpses tumbled into the square and disrupted the
formation. The rest of the cavalry saw this, charged through the
created opening and cut the square to pieces.

- --Peter Metcalfe