Re: Why do we dislike Mostali?

From: Simon Hibbs (simonh@msi-uk.com)
Date: Fri 23 Jan 1998 - 13:40:29 EET

Owen Jones :

>To me this doesn't quite fit. Part of the problem is that I
>can't imagine the world machine as mechanical.

Well, the Mostali do. Perhaps that's why you have difficulty getting to
grips with their mind-set.

>We know dwarves produce nilmergs and jolanti, but the process is
sorcerous
>rather than technological.

True, but at the end of the day sorcery and technology are both magic.

> ......A jolanti climbs cooling from a vat of magma
>only after the appropriate spell has been cast. His sensory organs are
>carved by stonemasons, but require sorcery to get them working. If you
>were to cut one open, you would surely find stone organs rather than
>little cogs. My point here is that dwarves put as much effort into
>working with spirit as they do with stone, iron, bronze, fire, dark
etc.

I think by spirit you realy mean spells, but stone, metal, fire, etc -
all these are magical too. Mostali have a mechanistic conception of how
magic works, which fits in with their pseudo-technological world view.

Simon