What shape is the world in?

From: Carl Fink (carlf@panix.com)
Date: Wed 28 Jan 1998 - 19:36:31 EET

Stephen Martin:

> I'm sorry, I don't understand this. It almost sounds liek you are saying
> that it is a 19th Century myth, that most of the people of the world
> believed the world was flat a few centuries ago.

Correct. He's right: the world was known to be round long before the
English language evolved -- the ancient Greeks knew it. In the 1800s,
the myth that Bible-influenced scholars thought the world flat and
opposed Columbus' voyage on that basis became popular. In fact,
scholars knew perfectly well that they lived on a ball, but
(correctly) thought Asia was much further away than Columbus could
sail.
- --
Carl Fink carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum