Re: Glorantha Digests

From: David Dunham (dunham@pensee.com)
Date: Fri 30 Jan 1998 - 10:05:59 EET

I'm back from Glorantha-Con VI (aka GC Down Under), and slowly catching up.
It was certainly a fun, and educational, con. Anyone who took photos, mine
didn't come out, so I'd love to have yours to post to my web site (unless
you post them to your own).

Some quick comments (more later I'm sure):

Vesa Lehtinen wrote about the "average jenkki." Actually, the average
American is Androgeous. Think about it... (And wouldn't know how to
pronounce the word you wrote.)

As for the Cradles scenario, I think it's one of the best I've played in;
it certainly had a very epic feel, with us overwhelmed (at least one DIed
out rather than stay and be killed) PCs in the middle of an obviously very
momentous event.

I quote Peter Metcalfe out of context: "Learn to recognize sarcasm." Do
remember that a significant number of our participants here don't speak
English as a first language. My guess is that subtle language use will be
lost on many of them (no slight on your language abilities,
non-native-speakers, they always seem to me much higher than you seem to
think they are).

Chris Ward hoped

> Just a thought on the new game, I understand that it cannot be RQ but
> I think it is important that it can be converatible.

Perhaps, though I know few who were happy with the RQ2-RQ3 conversion, and
I had problems converting between various versions of RQ4. Certainly when
you convert to a more dissimilar system such as Pendragon the problems get
worse (how do you deal with the parry-only Healer in a system that doesn't
separate attack and parry skill?). I say, if it's easy to approximately
convert, great, but they shouldn't spend much effort on something that is
bound by its very nature to be a failure.

Mikko wrote

> On earth almost all the cultures of old had the consept of the golden age

The Doraddi culture of Pamaltela thinks just the opposite.

Michael Cule wondered about an Ulerian initiation. How about falling in love?

David Dunham <mailto:dunham@pensee.com>