About the Eurmali and guerilla warfare

From: Mikko Rintasaari (rintasaa@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Date: Fri 30 Jan 1998 - 09:30:58 EET

> >Wouldn't the Eurmali be prone to use [guerilla warfare]?...
                                       ...This of course assuming that the
> >Eurmali are much more than just a bunch of thieves and tricksters and are
> >actually beneficial to society (which they must be - right?).

Oh ye of little faith. The Way of us Eurmali may be a bit hard to
understand for you rigid, stone dead types, but let me tell you...
  Seriously... You propably haven't read many trickster stories, have you?
Think about Loki, or the chinise Monkey God. Trickster _is_ one of the
strongest-, parhaps _the_ strongest power in the universe. In itself it's
compleatly erratic, of course. Still... think about the myriad aspects of
Eurmals "religion". There are thieves, assasins, horrors, jesters and
of course you can propably count in the numerous village idiots.
  We know that there are Lightbringer Eurmali, and I think this is the
bunch you want. Lightbinger eurmali are a semiofficial part of the
orlanthi society, and they have no love for the Empire. They are also
about as sane as the Eurmali get.

Actually I think the RQ/Glorantha material takes a very simplified view of
the Eurmali. As a mystical system being a trickster is about as easy as
being illuminated, and there are more than few similarities too: The
trickster is everywhere, and he has done everything. Being a trickster
means you are constantly thinking in an unusual angle, and preferrably try
the ideas out immediately. Still, as with every mystical system you can
try to take what you want, and avoid the rest. An eurmali who manages not
to lose himself in a world gone mad is quite powerful (check out the
spells for instace, but that is a _very_ limited and boring way to look at
the powers of Trickster)

Eurmal can open any lock, and fool any guard. He/She can seduce the enemy
commander (and his/her horse :) ) or do almost anything else needed. The
task needs to be daring, "impossible" or some other interesting thing,
tough.
  Of course most tricksters end up really dead really fast, when thair
luck runs out... kind of like the flip side of their reality bending, but
that's why you need some enlightened self criticism. Being a sane Eurmali
is a bit like being constantly on a Arkatian HQ. If you go on a regular
Eurmali HQ something bad will propably happen to you in the end... you
will propably die in an amusing way. You have to be aware of your
relationship with the universe and know when to duck, so to speak.
  So... yes. An eurmali can bother the local garrison to no end, but
remember that they don't actually work in groups. They are individuals...
hmm... maby a smart orlanthi priest could convince Eurmal (the God) to
take a stand against the Lunars... that would propably effect at least the
subconscious tendencies of most eurmali.

More on Eurmal later, if people are interested...

        -Mikko Rintasaari, the Trickster Adept