Eurmal

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Sat 31 Jan 1998 - 01:21:30 EET

Lee R. Insley:

>Has the aspect of Eurmal as a hero been dropped? I thought Eurmal was a
>key person in the Lightbringer's quest, and essentially was feeling quilty
>about the suffering he had caused.

Eurmal? Feeling guilty? He was _forced_ to guide the Lightbringers
because they knew that he could lead them to the Heart of Darkness,
the Eye of the Storm. The only time when he did something 'good' is
that when the Lightbringers were all scattered (Chalana's unhealable
wound, Orlanth's crisis of leadership, Issaries dumbstruck, Fleshman
alone, Lhankor not-knowing, Ginna Jar not) and hope was finally lost,
Eurmal was forced by his very nature to defy the Cosmos and bring the
Lightbringers back together again.

>I am sure someone would argue that they are just as likely to do the same
>kind of things to the Orlanthi themselves. This is partly true - but don't
>the Orlanthi (or at least Orlanth) maintain some control over the Eurmali?

The Orlanthi keep tricksters within society by having the clan chief
enforce the bondsman oath upon the trickster. If a trickster is
unbonded, then he is outside Orlanthi law and can be killed with
impunity.

- --Peter Metcalfe