Starting a Campaign in RofC/SC

From: Richard Develyn (richard@skaro.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun 01 Feb 1998 - 00:59:42 EET

I'm beginning to piece together a strategy for a campaign in the River
of Cradles / Sun County area and I wonder if you could help me out. I
want to make my campaign as compatible with Gestalt Glorantha (my term
for THE Glorantha) as possible.

PC Background
=============

First of all I want to give my PCs a nice broad choice of character
backgrounds yet at the same time construct some sensible way to get such
a pot-pourri of people adventuring together. This is only ever a problem
when you start out, after that, unless they all get wiped out, new
characters of more or less any background can join what is after all a
bunch of outcasts and drop-outs.

The mechanism I've thought for this is to use the nomad clans around the
Weis Cut area, in particular those clans which use the Weis Cut as a way
to bring their herds down to Zola Fel for grazing in the (probaly
summer) months. Not including Morokanth, this means PCs can be Bison
(tough Waha/Eiritha traditionalists - I'm still working out the rest),
Impala, Sable, Agimori, Yelornan, etc.

I need to work out what clans are likely to be around the area and using
the Weis Cut (the first area where I could do with help). Are there any
that wouldn't be here, and roughly speaking what are the more common
ones. I know that Morokanth and Agimori are dominant, though could you
give me any guidelines how many of each other sort there may be. I shall
want to be able to at least give each PC some account of his clan and
its regular wanderings (most of the rest I can get from published
material).

Secondly, I need to make some strong associations for each cult, so that
PCs understand the sort of background that they have.

I've had a go at figuring out a large Bison clan, and I've tended to
think of them as Waha/Eiritha traditionalists. The Rhino clan I might
associate more with Storm Bull. Sables have Lunar connections now and
Impalas seem open minded (cult-wise).

As well as basic survival there's all this shaman / spirit business. I
can see I'm going to have to work out which spirits are likely to be
worshiped where, roughly what the shaman distribution is and how easy it
is to get spirit magic.

Not a lot of temples around apart from Horn Gate, I guess.

The Hook and The Theme
======================

The way I wanted to get this motley group of PCs together, all from
possibly different tribes, is to conceive of a threat to the route down
to Weis Cut. It needn't be a huge threat, just enough of one to cause a
problem which must be solved, and which no one clan wants to attempt to
solve by itself. So, there's some huge meeting of the Khans, and they
all agree to contribute some manpower to exploring / solving the
problem. Some Khans will send off people they don't want, others people
they do - either way, the group of adventurers is born.

(Is this corny - dunno :-) )

Now the way I would really like to do this is to make this initial
adventure a hook into the over-all theme of the campaign, and I would
like to make that theme relatively grand. I don't want every adventure
to be linked, but I want this first one to be significant. The sort of
thing I'm thinking about would be:

Discovering a very old temple. The ground near Weis Cut has given way
near where the herd beasts come down. Something in there is making the
herds very nervous and it's taking twice as long to make the journey
(some of the beasts are balking - one or two might even be falling off
on the way down). This old temple could date back to anything in the
past for this area, and this first, nice easy to run adventure, will
finish with the discovery of some artifact / parchment which the PCs
will have to travel up to Sun Dome Temple to have analysed. All sorts of
things will, of course, happen on the way. Furthermore, as well as the
PCs bonding, they will probably also become tainted, so that life back
with the clans loses its appeal.

The Theme, then, could be:

a) something to do with an ancient cradle
b) something to do with these old magics that existed in the area pre
the arrival of the Sun Domers (could result in the expulsion of the Sun
Domers - I'm referring to Book of Dras Res 2 p.7)
c) something to do with the new cradle (if it gets stuck somewhere
further down after all the major incidents upstream (is this possible?))
d) something which results in a spring board for the next campaign (e.g.
finding a medicine bundle, a significant part of Genert, ...)

This is where I need the greatest help. I'm willing to go for anything
that fits in, that takes me around this area, and that ultimately
results in some major quest being undertaken by the PCs. I reckon it's

probably going to have to be post-Cradle (at least post initial Cradle),
but otherwise I don't mind what.

I expect over the course of this campaign I shall use absolutely
anything I can get my hands on, and I'm bound to mix in personalities
from all the published stuff (which I have) in this area.

Once again, all help gratefully received. Please bear in mind that I'm
likely to post quite a lot while I'm trying to get this sorted out.

Regards

Richard
- --
Richard Develyn