Re: Irregular verbs and sources

From: Nick Brooke (Nick_Brooke@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon 02 Feb 1998 - 11:11:13 EET

____ _____
Nils misses Peter's point completely, by getting testy at:

> I suppose it goes something like:
> My source quotations address the issues.
> Your source quotations miss the point.
> His source quotations are completely irrelevant and untrue.

This is an ironic example of the (rare) irregular noun form in English.
A more famous example is:

        I have an independent mind
        You are eccentric
        He is completely round the twist

Peter's point, surely, is that each of us posts source quotations *we*
feel to be appropriate, while dismissing those posted by others as (take
your pick) out of date, superceded, too long out of print to be gospel,
never printed for good reason (the "wastebasket" corpus), obviously in
error, etc. etc. Not that he (and only he) is the arbiter of Gloranthan
correctness -- although, each within our own skulls, communities and
campaigns, why shouldn't we *all* assign this role to ourselves?

Recognising that all of us are occasionally wrong -- and, indeed, that
any of us will occasionally come up with something so *brilliant* that
it's worth binning our own conflicting theories -- is a sign of strength,=

not inconsistency. That said, holding to your own theories and interpre-
tations in the face of a general consensus otherwise is *also* admirable:=

the problem, I think, arises when we either "belittle" our "opponents"
(i.e. our co-creators), or misunderstand what they're saying (sometimes
due to linguistic problems, sometimes to over-speedy refutation, some-
times, I'm forced to say, to sheer laziness). A protracted argument
between two people who aren't speaking to each other is not much fun
to watch...

::::
Nick
::::