Re: Illuminates, God Learners; multiple Heroes

From: Nick Brooke (Nick_Brooke@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed 04 Feb 1998 - 18:35:56 EET

_____
Simon writes:

> The God Learners were certainly aware of illumination, but I don't
> think they pursued or disseminated it widely. I think the answer is
> simply that the two mysteries of illumination and God Learning are
> basically unrelated.

And, indeed, incompatible (in my own view). An Illuminate can't see
the world with the RuneQuest Sight any more: it isn't as simple as
that, once you get beyond surface appearances. (Which, O Best Beloved,

explains why Illumination doesn't fit neatly into the RuneQuest rules).

___________
David Scott writes:

> I would like to think that [the ability to split into several parts]
> is one of the secrets a hero can learn through a difficult and dan-
> gerous quest.

We have an example of this in the "Troll Gods" excerpts from the "Jons-
town Compendium", when Argrath is about to be made into a troll:

: And then there were four or five Arkats who all seized upon the
: limbs of Kwaratch Kang, faster than I could tell. They weren't
: there, then they were, with the rune lord held helpless...

And we all know by now that Arkat wounded himself on the Hero Plane
(which is where he got his otherwise-unhealable injury from): two of
his heroquests overlapped, and (all unknowing) he shot himself in the
foot. Silly bugger.

(Ye Gods, Compu$erve is chopping up my posts something horrible these
days. I'll do what I can, including complaining loudly, but it looks
like things have taken a turn for the worse...)

::::
Nick
::::