Kralorelan musings

From: Nils Weinander (nilsw@ibm.net)
Date: Thu 05 Feb 1998 - 09:19:01 EET

The recent discussion has brought back a couple of
things I found problematic.

1. Exarchs, the title sounds very un-Kralorelan. It
can of course be the translation of an original, like
mandarin for hsin tu. The suggestion that third age Kralorela
was moulded by the FDR, with major changes from previous
ages may not be to my liking, but it did give me an idea.

I think the title of exarch was instituted by the
FDR. Before, there were just mandarins. Some of them
were more exalted, fulfilling the same functions as
the exarchs. In practice these were a step up in the
hierarchy, although this hierarchy was informal. Since
that's the way "it was always done" the mandarins
themsleves just knew how it worked.

The FDR, originally God Learners, came from a western
society with a strictly logical formal structure. Not
steeped in millennia (or centuries, depending on taste)
of the local tradition like the Kralorelans, they found
the mandarin system confusing and promptly created a new
title.

2. Moon worship was mentioned in conjunction with the
exiled lunars and the captive red emperor. That brings
back an old issue. I know I have asked about this before.
The Kralorelan calendar is divided into six _months_. I
asssociate months with moons. The calendar was created
in past ages, but what pre-Dawn moon had a seven week
period?

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind
nilsw@ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689