gods and spirits

From: David Cake (davidc@cyllene.uwa.edu.au)
Date: Thu 05 Feb 1998 - 11:17:00 EET

>Lately I've been feeling uneasy about my understanding of the difference
>between Spirit Magic and Divine. Aren't the spirits supposed to dwell in
>the Underworld whereas the Gods dwell on the God Plane? Why then should
>Divine Magic practitioners have any Spirit Magics at all? On the other
>hand Daka Fal is clearly concerned with Spirits and yet is considered
>Divine?

        The answer, IMO, is simple. Gods are just like spirits, only
bigger. Or spirits are like gods, only less so. At one end, you have gods,
who are very big, are hard to contact directly, and can be interacted with
in formalised worship, granting many divine magics and quite a few divine
spells. At the other end, you have simple spirits, who are roughly as
powerful as human, can be contacted directly rather easily, and grant at
best a spirit spell or two. And in between you have spirits that are
powerful enough to be worshipped by a spirit cult, spirits that are
difficult to contact directly, but not unreasonably so, and grant a limited
number of divine spells.

        I also think the God Plane is the part of the Spirit Plane that is
far enough away for Gods to live there.

        Cheers

                DAVID