Glass in Glorantha.

From: Simon Bray (101635.32@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed 11 Feb 1998 - 21:48:59 EET

Hi All,

 Richard asked about glass in Glorantha.

 I have an as yet unpublished story by Greg called "Glass" - It seems to
suggest that the substance has very strange mystical properties and potent
magical effects. I wish I could tell you more, but I can't.

 Some real world glass facts that occured before 1640

 The ancient Babylonians made coloured glass for jewellery. They hid the
formulae in jargon that would have been accessible only to the cognoscenti
- - Dara Happan or Fonritan applications there.

 "See Through" windows were sometimes made from substances such as horn,
varnished paper, mica and silk or even ice (if you lived in an igloo).

 Glass making originated in the RW around 2000 BC with the manufacture of
beads, seals and ornamental inlays. Egyptians made fine glass vessels in
1500 BC (Holy Country or Fonritan applications). The Phoenicians of Lebanon
were the most famous ancient glass makers due to the silica rich sands of
their land.

 Around 50 BC glassblowing was developed. By 100 AD glass objects had begun
to replace metal ones in middle class Roman homes.

 In 79 AD when Pompeii was destroyed they were using brown flat glass of
about an inch thick in public buildings. The stuff found at the baths was
even frosted by having sand scoured against it.

 By 270 AD the rich Alexandrians had windows of glass set in pitch,
protected by wooden shutters.

 MIRRORS DON'T HAVE TO BE GLASS.

 Mirrors were found in Catal Huyuk that were made of polished obsidian
circa 6000 BC

 The Incas used "Inca Stone" to make mirrors that looked like white
burnished steel.

 The ceremonial mirrors of the Aztecs were made from pyrites or obsidian.

 The egyptians used polished copper or bronze and di the Indus Valley
civilisations.

 The Han dynasty in china made beautiful mirrors inlaid with gold and
silver. They also discovered the principle of the periscope by hanging a
large mirror high above a basin of water so that you could see the
reflection of those around you - as described in "The Ten Thousand
Infallible Arts of the Prince of Huai Nan" circa 200 BC

 Silvered glass mirrors were found in Pompeii dated at about 50 AD.

 Gosh wasn't that ineresting,

 Cheers Simon.

 PS Buy Questlines 2. It is a superb tribute to Glorantha. I have just read
Greg's Address and finally understand GRoY, FS and E. It also has an
enlightening look at Fonrit in it by some unkown writer. The jokes also
provide one of my favourite insights into the Gloranthan mindset - The
Carrots (heh heh), the Light Bulbs (ho ho), what joy I have found within
those pages.