Re: Tolkienisms; WestQuest

From: Nick Brooke (Nick_Brooke@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri 13 Feb 1998 - 11:19:58 EET

_____________
Allen Wallace writes:

> About -Tolkeinisms-

> I think it is rude and innapropriate to trash on Tolkein's work
> because of the pathetic way a game designer who did a bad and
> unauthorized job of portraying them. Tolkein did an amazing job
> at creating an internally consistant and rich world. Most of
> modern high fantasy, including Glorantha, have at least had some
> inspiration from Middle Earth.

The objection is to the "isms", not to the source, in my case at least.
Good ol' J.R.R.T. worked wonders to build *his own* "internally consis-
tent and rich world"; lesser lights (including all too many authors of
"modern high fantasy") have ripped bleeding chunks out of it to slap
into their own cobbled-together creations. While this is, after all,
the sincerest form of flattery, it doesn't convey much respect for the
original author. (NB: I write as a co-founder of the Oxford Tolkien
Society, and have plenty of time for Tolkien's work in his own world.
I hate finding it cropping up everywhere else, is all!).

_____________
Lonely Dryads

Non-Gloranthan: the Altar Yggo in "Snow King's Bride" (SoloQuest 3).
Too good to lose, IMO.

_____
Joerg on my Nameless Western HeroQuest Entities:

> This approach may as well be a reaction to the concourse with demons
> (deities) the Jrusteli inherited from the Arkati. Sort of a return to
> the Return of Rightness which gave the early Jrusteli crusaders their
> moral superiority over the Arkati.

Yep, that's so. And a further distancing of modern, monotheist main-
stream Malkionism from the henotheism, pantheism, stygian aberrations,
etc. of the past. Nowadays, a Good Malkioni doesn't know the names of
any "gods" or "demons" or "unclean spirits" -- where a good Malkioni
of the First or Second Ages would have known loads of them, IMO.

>> The intent is that modern western HGing takes on a rather Arthurian
>> model, full of mysterious women at forks in the road, strange beasts,
>> mysterious castles ruled by knight referred to only by their appear-
>> ance (the Red Knight), etc.

> And why is this necessarily a post-God Learner attitude only?

The God Learners demonstrated the danger of naming, identifying and
reinforcing the power of otherworldly entities. The post-God Learner
reaction, therefore, is consciously to eschew doing so. The relevant
article, "Western HeroQuesting", is on my homepage:

        <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke/>

::::
Nick
::::