Salt

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Fri 13 Feb 1998 - 21:48:20 EET

Pasanen Panu:

> Are seas of Glorantha salty? As all rivers originate from the same
> mystical body of water, I believe they aren't.

The description of the Gnydron which 'cannot endure fresh water' in the
Gloranthan Beastiary and the mention of the Sweet Sea as freshwater
seems to indicate that the major seas of glorantha are salty.

As for rivers getting originating from the same 'source', I prefer
to believe that normal geological activities are taking place. FWIW

our seas don't get their salt from the rivers as the rivers contain
a completely different type of salt (calcium carbonate IIRC as
opposed to sodium chloride).

> And we know that
> salt is poisonous in Glorantha, for they poison elven weeds in
> Pamaltela with it. What do you think?

Many RW plants cannot tolerate a high concentration of salt in the
soil. Why do you think the Romans are reputed to have plowed the
fields of Carthage with salt?

- --Peter Metcalfe