Fall of the Silver Empire

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Sun 15 Feb 1998 - 07:24:22 EET

Joerg Baumgartner:

[In debating when the Silver Empire fell apart, we are arguing, in our
lovable way, the meaning of political integration. I pwomise I'll keep
this short, folks]

>>What is the difference between making war and making war for 'purposes
>>of political integration'?

>IMO the wars first started a process of political disintegration. Ethnic
>groups and local leaders striving to regain their lost sovereignty, and then
>to suppress their neighbours who did the same. Think of Bosnia.

I submit that Bosnia was a war of politicial integration. For example,
the Bosnian Serbs and Croats were ultimately striving to integrate
their lands with Greater Serbia or Croatia.

To say that a war fought amongst divided statelets with the aim of
regaining lost sovereignty and suppressing (conquering, ethnic
cleansing) neighbours is not 'political integration' raises the
question of why are statelets fighting then? If they make alliances
to suppress a mutually detested neighbour then it would be an example
of 'political integration' IMO. Likewise if they defeat a neighbour,
clear his land of inhabitants and then send in surplus population to
colonize it, then it is also 'political integration'.

>Note that the Broken Council freeform starts in the year 355. The Silver
>Empire might have existed this long, and faltered soon afterwards. Fact is
>that by the time Arkat and his allies enter Seshnela, it is a shambles of
>city states with established enmities.

And that the year of 385 ST, _after_ the Sunstop, _before_ Arkat lands
and just before the 'policical integration' begins is not a suitable
time for the Fall of the Silver Empire?

- --Peter Metcalfe