Theyalan Galanini?

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Mon 16 Feb 1998 - 06:03:11 EET

Jeff Richard:

Me>>The people of Galin are Malkioni first and not Theyalan. To them,
>>the Theyalans are grubby little savages who live in the wop-wops
>>over in the east. Their major cultural traditions are derived
>>from the Malkioni, Arkat and their ancient horse-riding traditions.

>Really? Oddly, I've long believe that least during the First Age, the
>Galininae were likely significantly influenced by the missionaries of the
>Unity Council and by the later High Council of the Lands of Genertela.

They were but such influences were extirpated by Arkat IMO. During
the Second Age, the land was dominated by the God Learners with their
monomyth from whence came the cults of Orlanth etc.

> Such influence is the sine quo non of the term "Theyalan". As an aside,
>in the First Age, I'm afraid it would be rather hard for the Ralian
>lowlanders to look at the Theyalans as "grubby little savages".

I was speaking of the people of modern-day Galin.

>>They have never been conquered by the Orlanthi. So why should they
>>be overly influenced by Theyalan Ideals?

>Again I'm curious why you write this - my understanding is that the spread
>of the Orlanth cult and Theyalan ideals in the Dawn Age had little to do
>with conquest. I suspect that by the time of the First Dari Alliance, the
>lowlanders of Ralios (presumably including the Galininae) were
>significantly influenced by Theyalan ideals - which includes the existence
>of the Orlanth cult.

The tribes that became Orlanthi in the Dawn Age already worshipped
Orlanth in some form or another (like the Harandings) or were under
the influence of Lokaymadon (like the Sylilings). The Ralians have
their own Storm god, Humath, whom they were still worshipping at the
time of the Broken Council. IMO the influences would be more like
the influence of Hellenism upon Roman Gods rather than the wholesale
adoption of the cult of Orlanth (ie replace Jupiter with Zeus).

Me>>The Dari Alliance was a seperate state from the Empire of Light. So
>>why would Maklaman need to make Humath semi-seperate from Lokaymadon's
>>Cult? Secondly the Ralians had storm gods long before they came into
>>contact with the World Council.

>My impression is that the Dari Alliance was within the sphere of cultural
>influence of the Bright Empire.

Depends on how close it was to the Bright Empire. Are we speaking of
pan-hellenism or what? Yes it did adopt some ideals but I do not
believe that the Galalini were transmuted into classic orlanthi.

- --Peter Metcalfe