YAGLA

From: David Cake (davidc@cyllene.uwa.edu.au)
Date: Fri 20 Feb 1998 - 11:39:41 EET


>> Maybe its because I work in a university (though not for much
>>longer, today was resignation day) that I find the reasoning that 'degrees
>>churned out by the thousands' implies 'intellectual unity' rather
>>hilarious.

>
>Do they teach Gnosticism at the university? Or perhaps Taoistic
>Alchemy? Tantric Sex? Haruspicy? Charismatic Healing? Or
>perhaps they inculcate the Wisdom of the West (and its take on all
>the other traditions)?
>
        They teach some of those things, and others are taught only
extra-curricularly :-)

        To actually address Peter's point however - does 'embodying one
intellectual tradition' imply 'intellectual unity'? Not at this University,

and I expect it did so even less for the God Learners. The God Learners
share primarily a methodology, and sure there is some shared ideology as
well, but the whole God Learning phenomenom is based on intellectual
enquiry.

>> And as for unified politically? I deliberately defined 'God
>>Learner' to include not just the Jrusteli, but all the other allies of the
>>Middle Sea Empire who had access to their magic techniques, many of whom
>>owed no direct allegiance to the Emperor (ie the Six Leggeds, the pirates
>>of Teleos, the early FDR).
>
>And what did they do that screwed up the Cosmos? Ergo there's no
>reason for including them in, is there?

        Really? Or are you just defining God Learner narrowly in such a way
that it makes your argument a truism? Straw men burn well.

> And besides the Pirates
>of Teleos _were_ part of the God Learner Empire.
>
        I thought of them as a client state with some independent authority
rather than simply a part. But its not something I wish to argue about.

>> Rather, its because they have universities that I imagine constant
>>intellectual debate. Which in turn encourages them to test their theories.
>
>And experimentation is inherently evil? How else where they supposed
>to find the truth?

>
        I never said experimentation is evil. Merely that some God Learners
will consider the actions of other God Learners to be misguided.

>>But take, for example, the current cloning humans debate.
>
>A new way to make identical twins. Which is somehow supposed to
>lead to The End of the World as We Know It.
>
        Exactly. To some people, in possession of the relevent facts, it is
science god mad and society as we know it is threatened. To others, its
completely innocuous, and we really should do it just to show that we can
(future uses to follow). I imagine the God Learners are similarly divided
on numerous theological engineering possibilities.

>> And the good reasons for the Manhattan project have not stopped
>>people from condemning it.
>
>But they condemn it out of _ignorance_.
>
        To assume that anyone whose opinion differs from your speaks from
ignorance is intellectual arrogance at its most blatant and pointless.

        But then again, we are no strangers to that here.

        Cheers

                David

------------------------------


This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.7 : Fri 13 Jun 2003 - 23:12:03 EEST