Re: Theyalan Exegesis

From: Joerg Baumgartner (joe@toppoint.de)
Date: Sat 21 Feb 1998 - 20:12:00 EET

Shannon Appel

>I don't believe the Caladralanders ever had the same culture as the
>Orlanthi, other than as part of the OOO's Kingdom of Night.

Which isn't quite what the Heortlings were.

>They were
>the constantly rebelling fire worshipers that got all the bad
>press. Real primitives who practice human sacrifice, throwing hapless
>victims into their volcanos in order to appease the spirits.

It worked, didn't it?

The Esrolians were real primitives killing their male ruler annually to
appease the Crone.

The Heortlings were real primitives killing some hapless scapegoat in their
Summons of Evil part of their recreation myth annually.

And in Alkoth, savage primitives bring lots of hapless victims into the
Enclosures.

Human sacrifice to whatever rites usually is a mark of civilisation, real
primitives wouldn't do such abominations.

I don't claim that Caladraland worshipped Orlanth as their manhood deity.
They give Orlanth respect for bringing back the sun, much like the trolls
give Asrelia some grudging respect.