Orlanthi and Orlanthings

From: Joerg Baumgartner (jorganos@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue 24 Feb 1998 - 14:27:08 EET

Mikael (?) Raaterova reminds us of his differentiation between
"orlanthi" and "orlanthings". This is a definition I appreciate and
use. It is just that some of the Kethaelan humans share much of their
culture or religious practises with the orlanthings without sharing that
belief, and I need a term to include them as well.

>they regard Orlanth as the king of the kods and ruler of
>the universe.

Do you tie this with the Orlanth Rex cult and its form of government, or
is this sufficiently general to allow pre-Alakoring tribes in as well?
The northern Sartarites with Yelmalian leaders (including even Harvar
Ironfist) use the Orlanth Rex rites for kingship, probably remaining as

silent as possible about "Orlanth" in the proceedings.

>Not that i believe that orlanthings name themselves 'orlanthings',
though.

A very good point. Terms people use among themselves rarely are
consistent or defined. I for one can't tell the difference between
"krauts" and "huns" when applied to WW2 descriptions of Germans. Does
one or the other hold any more Nazi contempt than the other? When
Germans talk about "the English", they may well mean Welsh, Scot or
Northern Ireland people...

>And the gods should know we need less confusion on the digest; just
witness
>the exchange between Joerg and Peter based on the term 'theyalan' and
the
>resulting discussion about what cultures are
theyalan/orlanthi/heortling or
>not.

This almost tempts to develop a scientific vocablulary with well-defined
terms to use, making Glorantha Lore a fully formalised science... ;-)

Joerg Baumgartner (via Hotmail)
mailto:joe@toppoint.de