RE: Howdy

From: Sandy Petersen (SPetersen@ensemblestudios.com)
Date: Wed 25 Feb 1998 - 19:37:57 EET

Philip Hibbs
> Does anyone have any clear ideas about the Rokari policy on teaching
magic to non-Wizards?

The Rokari commonly teach magic to non-Wizards, so long as they're
Rokari. Using my own rules, such individuals can cast spells using the
art of Intensity (only). This rule is pretty common among Malkioni that
do not permit movement between castes. The precise Rokari rule (in my
campaign, and supported by the rules) is:

ROKARI
* Peasants & Knights -- Intensity only, (and those spells
appropriate for their duty in life)
* Wizards -- no restrictions
* Lords -- can learn Intensity and one other Art (which cannot be
Range or Multispell), plus appropriate spells.

The standard Rokari rule (above) is quite common, and I believe that
both the Galvosti & Borists follow it, for instance.
And as a bonus here are some more rules from my campaign -- I'm open to
discussion on these, BTW:

HRESTOLI
* Peasants -- may learn no Arts. May learn spells, but cannot
manipulate them at all.
* Knights -- may learn Intensity.
* Wizards & Lords -- no restriction.

CARMANIAN
* Only Wizards may acquire any Arts. (The other castes commonly
learn spirit magic.)

CASTLE COAST
* A Peasant may only learn Intensity.
* Other castes have no restrictions.

SEDALPISTS
* A Peasant may only learn Intensity.
* A Knight or Lord may only learn Intensity, Multispell, and
Range.
* No restrictions on Wizards.

SYANORAN
* Only Clergy & Lords may learn Arts.
* Other castes may not learn any Arts.

VALKARISM
* Work Folk may learn no Arts.
* Other castes may learn all Arts.

Vesa Lehtinen:
>there are Lanbril gang "alhemists" that manufacture Thunder Lung Dust
and everything else described in Lanbril writeup

Peter M.
>I prefer to think the thieves of Pavis are much less sophisticated and
they don't have alchemists at all.

Coming from years of play in Pavis, I am of the belief that the thieves
of Pavis are reasonably sophisticated. I agree they don't have "guild"
alchemists -- but there _are_ alchemists in Pavis, both dwarf and human,
and some of them are certainly willing to manufacture banned products
for sale to thieves.

Rex Bean
>Thieves Guilds would not exist for lots of good reasons already listed.

        Of course there aren't "Thieves Guilds" except maybe in the
biggest Kralorelan cities (Kralorela is so atherosclerotic and ancient
and rules-ridden that a thieves guild almost makes sense here), but

Glorantha does have some organized crime. Notably Black Fang in Pavis &
environs.
        In the Lunar Empire you get Krarsht.
        In the West there is "Saint Dismas".
        In Fonrit there are some thieves' organizations too, whose names
I tragically forget and don't have Gods of Gloranthan on hand. Strictly

speaking, the Fonritian organizations aren't really a religion (though
thats how GoG portrays them), but they do have quasi-religious
overtones, much as did the Chinese tongs.

Simon Hibbs
> We know that Humakt slughtered the healers of Healer Valley, which is
re-enacted in the outlawed Lead Cross heroquest. >Does that help?

Richard Ohlson
>Hm, I have heard of the quest, though I don't know the myth it's based
on. Where can I find out more about it?
        It's not fully written up anywhere, so far as I know. Basically,
there were evil healers who were subverting Death by bringing folk who
ought to be dead back to life (like executed criminals and such). In the
heroquest, you must kill a Chalana Arroy healer who has resurrected
someone (i.e., most CA healers will do), in such a way that the healer
can't be resurrected, you must destroy a soulless undead horror that has
its original mind (like a vampire or mummy -- a ghoul or skeleton won't
do), and you must destroy something that has been created from the dead
(this varies), plus accomplish some other stuff. When you're done, you
carry your sacrifice to the Lead Cross and you gain the power that
people you kill can't be resurrected or reanimated.