Humakti philosophy

From: Steve Rennell (software@spis.co.nz)
Date: Thu 26 Feb 1998 - 01:41:40 EET

Simon writes:
> How does that logic fit with guilt and remorse? The ideal Humakti
> shuns such feelings

Ah, but I think it shouldn't be so much "Feel Guilt and Remorse for
nothing that you do" as "Do nothing for which you would feel guilt
and remorse". Part of the purpose of geasa being to train the
discipline necessary to be aware of your actions all the time so that
you do nothing for which you would feel guilt and remorse.

> Most Humakti are Thanes and Housecarls first, they embrace the
> deathbringer because it suits them and their people for them to do
> so.

Although I have some sympathy for this view, and indeed held this to
be obvious until recently, How does it fit with the "cutting of kin
ties" that has been mooted as a large part of being humakti?

If you have cut your ties with your Kin, (and thus you have only
your honour to guide your actions, rather than familial demands) then
how can you be a proper Thane if you have no ties to the people you
are protecting/ruling?

I lean away from the cutting of kin ties personally, because I like
the idea of family traditions of worshiping Humakt, and serving your
family, clan and Tribe honourably to the death. Having a family
tradition seems a bit difficult to achieve if you have no kin. I'm
quite happy to see people thinking that Honour is more important than
Kin ties, but I don't want to see Kin ties being ignored all
together.

Cheers

Steve