Minor topics

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Thu 26 Feb 1998 - 08:55:42 EET

Sandy Petersen:

>In Fonrit there are some thieves' organizations too, whose names
>I tragically forget and don't have Gods of Gloranthan on hand.

Selarn and the Lamsabi. However the Lamsabi infest the Elf Coasts.

Charles Perryman:

>Torture should really be seen in the light of earlier practises.
>Torture (lit. practice of law) was seen as the humane alternative to the
>ordeal which was seen by the twelfth century as babaric and inadequate.

Strictly speaking it was inquisitorial justice (of which torture
formed a part) that was introduced to replace the Trial by Ordeal.

>By the fourteenth century Torture seldom passed beyond the ritual
>showing of the instruments.

This may be true but in the case of Witchhunts, the rules regarding
torture were circumvented to get the accused witches to confess. An
interesting theory in those days is that the torture had to be
exceptionally painful when questioning witches or else they could
use their magic to withstand the torture and clam up (This detail
comes from 'The Witch-hunt in early modern europe' by Brian Levack
- - my fav is the confessions of French Peasants who claimed to fly to
Newfoundland(!) to practice the Witches Sabbath without being detected).

- --Peter Metcalfe