MPME & Crystals (rulesy)

From: Hibbs, Philip (philip.hibbs@tnt.co.uk)
Date: Mon 27 Apr 1998 - 10:53:46 EEST

I was re-reading the RQ3 rules the other day, and I realised that the *only*
thing that can be done with a magic point matrix, crystal, or POW spirit is
to power spells. You cannot top up your own MPs with it, and cannot draw
from it during spirit combat. This makes the Resurrection spell a much more
daunting prospect for the caster, and makes spirit combat in general a real
problem for anyone.

Does this represent Gloranthan reality (IYO)? Do you enforce it? I know most
people don't allow drawing of MPs into one's person, but I (and IMEx most)
normally allow them to be used as spirit combat reserves.

Unless I've missed an obscure rule, of course.

What about this: crystals have different situations in which they could be
used, so an adventurer might find a crystal that acts as an MP reserve in
spirit combat only, and a different one might be usable for spells. Maybe a
60% chance of each use (spells, spirit combat, replenishment), but not all
three - don't roll the third if the first two both came up, so replenishing
crystals are more rare.

philip.hibbs@tnt.co.uk or phibbs@compuserve.com
http://members.tripod.com/~PhilHibbs/
  A single death is a tragedy