14th Century Heortland.

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Sat 02 May 1998 - 06:28:03 EEST

Joerg Baumgartner:

>> I would rephrase that slightly and say that many of them left
>> rather than have their new found freedom taken away by the
>> re-establishment of Malkionized government.

>What new-found freedom? Did Belintar lift Arkat's Command, or what?

No. What I meant is that the power of the Government collapsed (due
to civil war between OOO and Belintar factions) and thus the clans of
Heortland were able to draw upon their own traditions to organize
themselves and their relations with each other. This was much better
then the bad old days when they had to pay their taxes to the authorities
so that when Belintar began to put Heortling affairs in order, many went
north rather than pay taxes to their feudal lords.

>Wasn't there a civil war in Heortland, continuing from Belintar's
>struggles well into the middle of the century?

I think so but IMO it resulted from attempts to restore Law and Order
to the clans of Heortland rather than any support for the OOO (which
was a dead issue at this time).

- --Peter Metcalfe