Philip Hibbs' Wordgames

From: Lord Julian (113742.1247@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri 08 May 1998 - 01:08:52 EEST

From: Julian Lord

Hibbs, Philip says:

>>>"Illumination" and "Enlightenment" are effectively the same word, like=
 an
>>>"Allied Spirit" is often called a "Familiar". =

>SNIP>>

>I was referring to the etymology: Enlightenment (the word) =

>means the same as Illumination.

AAARGH! NO! I *really* can't let THIS nasty little rhetorical trick past!=

In which way, exactly, are you suggesting that the etymology of "Allied
Spirit" is related to "Familiar", in the same way that "Illumination"
is related to "Enlightenment"?

 =

For your enlightenment, etymology concerns itself with words,
and their derivation, particularly from a morphological POV. =

Illumination and Enlightenment are words which
*do* have a distant etymological link. (il-LU-mination
and en-LI-ghtenment : despite the vowel change, the LU
and LI derive, theoretically, from the same Indo-European
etymon, meaning light). I fail to see any similar =

resemblance between "Allied Spirit" and "Familiar".

Also, when there are two words, it is generally because (at least) =

two different meanings are present in the language. =

Synonymy can, in fact, almost never be demonstrated,
and is in any case exceedingly rare.

Quite apart from this theory, I have yet to see anyone
explain that Enlightenment and Illumination have =

only one meaning between them. I, personally, believe =

the opposite to be true.

An allied spirit and a familiar are, in the same way,
two different things IMHO.=