Re: Malkioni saints

From: Nils Weinander (nilsw@ibm.net)
Date: Sun 10 May 1998 - 20:55:35 EEST

Me:

> NW>>My theory is that Malkioni saints are rather like
> >>mahayana buddhist bodhisattvas

Peter:

> [grumble, grumble, grumble]

He he, an old bone of contention dug up again...

Simon Hibbs:

> >Malkioni saints remind me vaguely of the bodhisatva of Mahayana
> >Buddhism, who chose not to enter nirvana in order to save others.

Peter:

> And the parallel is flawed because in Mahayana Buddhism, Buddhas
> (and others who have attained Nirvana) can help others.

Parallells are rarely perfect, especially RW ones, but
this one is not so bad. Mahayana buddhas, except Siddharta
Gautama, are old indian and chinese deities fit into the
buddhist cosmology, while bodhisattvas are saintly humans.

But, looking at Glorantha there are exceptions from the
model suggested here: Malkion and Hrestol are saints who
give belssings and they are _in_ Solace.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind
nilsw@ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/