Malkioni Saints and Boddhisvattvas

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Tue 12 May 1998 - 14:39:12 EEST

Simon Hibbs:

>>>Malkioni saints remind me vaguely of the bodhisatva of Mahayana
>>>Buddhism, who chose not to enter nirvana in order to save others.

Me>>And the parallel is flawed because in Mahayana Buddhism, Buddhas
>>(and others who have attained Nirvana) can help others. One can
>>look at Wu Ch'eng-en's 'Monkey' or the buddhist cults in Land of
>>Ninja for examples.

>Budhas have ascended to Nirvana and nolonger have access to the material
>world. Bodhisatvas choose _not_ to enter nirvana, and so do have access
>to the material world and can help mortals.

And I just gave references that disprove this assertion because
Buddhas are shown therein to _affect_ the material world.

>I believe the cults in Land of Ninja, which I have not consulted
>recently, are presumably supposed to be Bodhisatvas, not Budhas.

And you are wrong for there are several Buddhas in the list
of Buddhist Deities.

>Malkioni believe that the saints do live in Solace in Glory, but can
>still perform miracles, so the paralell is far from perfect.

If so, what is the purpose of bringing up the Boddhisvattva parallel?

>Perhaps
>some henotheists have similar beliefs about the nature of saints?

They might. But all I've seen is so far is proposals for a
blanket statement about how Malkioni Saints operate.

>I just think that the Mahayana Budhism paralell can add a little
>doctrinal variation to our Malkioni churches.

It would help heaps if people knew a bit more about what they
proposed to introduce.

- --Peter Metcalfe