Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #609

From: Simon Phipp (simon.phipp@walshwestern.com)
Date: Tue 12 May 1998 - 20:54:43 EEST

Philip Hibbs asks:

> Anybody know anything about Arroin? If only I had a MIG...

As far as I can remember, writing at work, Arroin was the Son of
Chalana Arroy and was a powerful Healing Spirit. He was a friend of
the Elves and was one of the Defenders of the Forest, alongside High
King Elf and Yelmalio. Unfortunately, he was continually attacked,
beaten and broken. His powers were eroded as he was smashed into pulp
until he lost most of the healing powers he once held. Now, he is
worshipped in a subcult of Chalana Arroy which concentrates on the
non-magical sides of Healing - First Aid, Treat Poison, growing
Healing Plants, Treat Disease. There are several Quests involving
Arroin, mostly along the lines of "Arroin is captured, we must rescue
him before he is badly injured, oops too late, never mind he is still
alive (just), let's take him to his mum". He is the source of a great
deal of the Healing Crystals knocking around. In RQ2, Arroin was the
god of the Rune Lords of Chalana Arroy, but this has been changed for
RQ3, for the better.

>>P. Metcalfe
>>The key factoid that I would emphasize here is that the mainstream
>>Malkioni also have this same tradition that stretches back to the
>>Kingdom of Logic. The Brithini and the Malkioni Churches are
>>really sibling creeds rather than the Brithini being ancestral to
>>the Malkioni.

But. most of the current Malkioni follow Hrestol's Way which is
different from Malkion's Way, so they cannot really be thought of as
Orthodox Malkioni. I think of the Brithini culture as Uncles to the

Malkioni Father and Hrestoli Son, related but slightly removed. After
all, the Brithini have never acknowledged the Invisible God, even
though they claim to follow Malkion's Laws.

Julian Lord:

> Really: Is Saintliness different from or the same as
> either Enlightenment or Illumination or both?

Saintliness is different from Illumination and Enlightenment in the
same way that Fish is different from Sugar. They share nothing in
common at all.

You could say that all three are the province of Mystics, but that's
as far as it goes.

Saintliness is the willingness and ability to help those less
fortunate or able to enter Solace using your personal intervention
rather than their own efforts. That is what the Malkioni Saints do -
they allow those who would not be able to enter Solace to hang onto
the Saints' coat tails and are dragged into Solace.

> Would a Saintly chaotic be thought of in orthodox
> (there's that word again!) malkionism as being
> primarily Saintly or primarily Chaotic? Or, are
> Saintliness and Chaos mutually exclusive?
> (Borists apart.)

Malkioni tend not to embrace those of a Chaotic Persuasion. In any
case, Chaotics tend not to follow the mainstream Malkioni Laws and
therefore will not be able to enter Solace or help others enter
Solace. There is a big diference in being Saintly and being a Saint.

> Also: What is the difference between Holiness
> and Saintliness in Glorantha?

Holiness is being true to one's faith. Saintliness is being true to
the Malkioni faith, in my opinion.

> PS There can, I think, be living Saints, as the
> Apostles certainly were in RW, at least when filled
> with the Holy Spirit.

Absolutely, while they were alive they could help people to Solace.
However, after they die they have been there themselves which makes
it easier for them to show the way.

Richard Develyn:

> What I'm trying to figure out is whether myths represent events in
> the past, or whether they reflect the needs of communities in the
> present.

Myths in Glorantha represent events in the past. However, they also
reflect the needs of the community. When a need of the community is
not reflected in the mythology, Heroes will HeroQuest and create the
myths which are needed.

Simon Hibbs:

> >The Orlanthi on the other hand have maintained a relatively stable
> >mythology for a considerable period and display a commensurate
> >resilience to the forces of history. They adapt to the world,
> >rather than trying to force it to a shape they impose upon it. I
> >believe this is what Arkat meant when he said 'No heroquesting
> >without humility'.

But, the Orlanthi Quested in the First Age to change the nature of
their deities, integrating the myths of the Theyalans and
Pelorians. They also made enormous HeroQuests to change the world.

In the Second Age they incorporated Draconic thought
patterns and even created new forms of Orlanth. They HeroQeusted to
destroy the God Learbers mythically.

In the Third Age they destroyed the Red Moon and changed the world.

So much for adapting to the world.

In the God Time, the Orlanthi deities were responsible for violently
changing most of the World Order, even more than Chaos.

Peter Metcalfe:

> Julian Lord:
>
> >Our words cannot describe the Spirit Plane.
>
> Rubbish. The Spirit Plane can be and has been described
> using words be it the 'featureless grey plane' to the
> Skald's singing of Orlanth's Hall.

Exactly. The Spirit Plane can, and has been, described. Shamans,
mystics and Spirits can see it in its full glory, the rest can see it
less fully, but it can still be described.

Simon Phipp