Re: Illumination

From: Frank Rafaelsen (rafael@nvg.ntnu.no)
Date: Tue 12 May 1998 - 20:19:24 EEST

I'm sorry that I have to start this again, but I haven't had the time
to answer this until now.

Peter Metcalfe said:
> Dorastor and Lords of Terror make it clear that it's a case of
> profound spiritual insight _first_ and then ignore evil sendings.

Yes and no. Most no. The write-up in Land of doom states that what you say
is true. But it also states that it is possible to be illuminated without
knowing it (in the example the guy who is illuminated is told this by his
GM because he is so familiar with the concepts of illumination. Ergo if he
had been less familiar with the phenomenon he wouldn't have realized that
he was illuminated).

And if you turn to the Oddi saga, in Lords of Terror, you'll se how this
works: Oddi is illuminated by some tricksters and he doesn't realize what
has happened to him. What makes him realize what has happened? His sense
chaos skill failes to warn him of the presence of the Crimson Bat. What

happens then? He is confused, he doesn't know what it means to be
illuminated. _Only_ when his affliction is interpreted by a
(unilluminated) Lunar does he start to view himself in the way the lunars
say illumination makes people view the world. Profound spiritual insight
my foot! This is indoctrination on a very high level, with a technique as
old as the hills. He is socialized into a cultural understanding of

illumination.

Illumination isn't an insight, it is a power. It is in light of the power
you get insight. The insight seems to vary according to what the
illuminate makes of the power. Power is knowledge.

This is of course IMG, IMVHO etc etc. :)

- --
Frank Rafaelsen
Homo Ludens