Myths and History

From: richard (richard.develyn@nwpeople.com)
Date: Wed 13 May 1998 - 11:47:00 EEST

Examining what we _really_ know about the past...

David Dunham wrote:

First of all to qualify the accuracy of writings, and the accuracy of
Orlanthi myths.

Then:

Simon Phipp also wrote:

> Myths in Glorantha represent events in the past. However, they also
> reflect the needs of the community. When a need of the community is
> not reflected in the mythology, Heroes will HeroQuest and create the
> myths which are needed.

Can I just pin this bit down: Do you agree that you can HeroQuest to
_change_ a myth (which then tends to retain its new form), as opposed to
just create new ones?

If so, isn't it the case that your HeroQuest time-travel is not
accurate? Or rather, that what you experience when HQing is more a
reflection of current beliefs than historical events?

Let me try an example, although I haven't got all my Gloranthan
literature here ('cos I'm at work) so I might get some of my facts a bit
wrong:

I believe that in Nomad Gods, "myth" says: Tada kills Basmol. In later
publications it's Waha. Do we really know what happened to Basmol? If
you were able to really time travel, wouldn't you find that 1000 years
ago, "myth" would then have said it was someone totally different who
killed Basmol, and maybe 1000 years before that he wasn't killed at all,

but for some other reason went to the underworld?

Cheers

Richard
- --
Richard Develyn Tel: (UK)-1732-743591
Principal Architect / Development Manager Fax: (UK)-1732-743597
Network People International http://www.nwpeople.com