Re: Illumination

From: Simon Hibbs (simonh@msi-uk.com)
Date: Wed 13 May 1998 - 16:06:30 EEST

Frank Rafaelsen says :

>Illumination isn't an insight, it is a power. It is in light of the
power
>you get insight. The insight seems to vary according to what the
>illuminate makes of the power. Power is knowledge.

Power is Knowledge? I could make endless examples of power that has
nothing to do with knowledge, usch as the power of the strong over the
weak. The only way this would work is if you arbitrarily define power in
such a way that it is true, however that would hardly lead to a generaly
usefull definition of power.

In Glorantha, illumination is defined as an insight which gives the
illuminate a number of powers. That's implicit in the sources. How can
answering riddles give you powers independently of any insight required
to produce the answers? Also, the same insight can lead to different
powers, unless you are saying that many powers can give their wielder
the same insight?

Riddles stretch the intelectual, imaginitive and emotional faculties of
the subject. By presenting the subject with conundrums that cannot be
resolved or analysed through normal mental processes, the subject
realizes the limitations of those processes. The subject becomes aware
of the internal architecture of her mind and becomes able to percieve
the structure of her own conciousness, ultimately transcending it.

Your game may, of course, vary.

Simon Hibbs