Saints and Sainthood

From: Nikk Effingham (eng7nje@arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Sat 16 May 1998 - 15:12:58 EEST

While I'd *hate* to get in the way of the "debate" between Pete and
Nils, my own two pence is this.

I believe that Saints also do not reside in Solace for the reason
that I believe Solace to be the unreachable and unprovable. Unlike

most other Gloranthan afterlives, Solace cannot be found anywhere on
the Spirit Plane or Hero Plane, and never should IMHO. No HeroQuests
to Solace, no Divine Interventions from the Invisible God (or, at
least, none that a sceptic could not attribute to pure luck). In
effect, IMG I never want it to be proven that Solace exists, because
I feel that Malkioni are the only religion with true "faith". All
other Gloranthan religions "know" that their path is the true and
correct one, how can you deny it when you talk to the Gods every
other week?

If Saints remain "elsewhere" other than Solace, then Invoking their
powers, meeting them in dreams and in miracle appearances, means that
there is less evidence for the existence of the Invisible God and the
Creator. After all, an Orlanthi Shaman might just point out how alike
Hero Cults and Saints are to each other.

All IMVHO,

Nikk E.

Nikk Effingham
eng7nje@leeds.ac.uk