Re: replies to Mythic Stuff

From: Simon Hibbs (simonh@msi-uk.com)
Date: Thu 21 May 1998 - 17:41:43 EEST

Richard Develyn :

>1) Is my reasoning about going round full circle correct? In
particular,
>are you ultimately reliant on inaccurate written / oral material to
find
>out what happened in the past?

Yes.

>2) Can you use divination as a research tool?

It has limited application.

>3) Can you talk to spirits as a way of research history? Do they
>actually tell you about what really happened in the past or do they
just
>tell you what the current myths are?

I asume we're talkingbaout ancestral spirits or some such? They'll tell
you what they know, whcih will depend on what they saw and experienced.
If your culture has adopted new myths and beliefs since, old great
grandfather Skibbow won't know what you're talking about. What could
make such knowledge spontaneously pop into his memories? If he wrote a
diary, could you watch the writing change on the page to conform with
current thinking? Of course not.

Heroquesting can't change history, it can enhance or ameliorate the
consequences of history on the present.

Simon Hibbs