Reaching Solace

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Fri 29 May 1998 - 11:09:36 EEST

Robert McArthur:

>Can you get to Solace through a heroquest? Argrath managed to get to Sheng
>in a pretty remote place... Of course, it may need an 'argrath' to do it, but
>is it possible?

The most recent Greg Sez indicates that Argrath actually performed two
HQs, one theistic and the other mystic. The theistic quest was to the
Court of Silence, and the mystic one was to Sheng's place. Therefore
it seems that there are modes of questing for the other known traditions
(naturalism and humanism). Argrath's greatness was that he could quest
in two or more modes rather than Sheng's Hell being an exceptionally
difficult place to quest to.

Now since the Malkioni do have a indigeneous tradition of HQing within
their humanistic religion (even the Brithini according to QLII p68),
I've no problem with the Malkioni being capable of questing to achieve
Solace. Similar 'quests' are known in the RW: Muhammad's Night Journey,
the Quest for the Holy Grail, the Divine Comedy etc. But for other
people (non-Malkioni), it would be far more difficult.

- --Peter Metcalfe